Tuesday, December 15, 2009

War is Over

So, its official. It is Christmas time. A time when you're supposed to feel all lovey dovey, cozy, warm and fuzzy. Last year surprisingly I did. I let go of my heart and had a mission. I did, because on Christmas Eve, I was surrounded by family, friends, amazing food, laughter and love. I also was surprised by one of my best friends, Bryan, with a bottle of wine he had been saving that I had actually given to him many years ago. He gave it to me as a Christmas gift saying that when this is all over, we'd drink it. And...now we can.

On Christmas, though we mourned Mema's passing, we cherished memories of her and kept her with us as we opened gifts and ate breakfast mentioning what she would think, do, say. Christmas turned into a fun-filled day of eating, sharing stories, gift giving and receiving, drinking tasty wine and... eventually a night full of a typical Italian feast and a loud and joyous celebration. Not only was the Saginario family in attendance, but my coworker and dear friend Gemma and her mom, along with a visit from Justin and Becka. It really was so fun!

The funny thing is, my favorite song of all time during Christmas is Sarah McLauglin's rendition of 'Happy Xmas, War is Over'. Last year when I heard it, I actually got angry, felt resentment, and got really upset. "Let's hope its a good one, without any fears." That's certainly not how I felt at all. On Dec 25, 2008 I had cancer in my body and a year ahead that I couldn't even begin to prepare for. I was so scared and the year had not even started yet!

"For weak and for strong." that's the part that got me motivated. That actually got me feeling vicious and ready to conquer whatever was up ahead.

So now when I listen, and the year is behind me and Sarah asks "Oh this is Christmas and what have you done?" I know that I've done more than most. This year is the biggest and most important of them all. More important than college graduation, buying a new car, getting a promotion... I beat cancer!! And the best feeling is knowing in my head, my heart and soul that It's a "Happy Christmas" this year and the "War is Over!" Ah ah ah ah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJOh9DrH0c

No comments:

Post a Comment