Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Incredible

Just about 3 years ago Allison was getting married to the love of her life Rick.


Her bridal shower was set on Ricky's parents pontoon boat. To most people this sounded like a great time. To me, I was horrified.

I had to wear a wig. On a boat. In June. It was hot! And that hairy hat was not something that I wanted to have fly off my head in a big gust of wind!

But... It was my opportunity to look like a bathing... BLONDE... beauty. And so I did. I rocked that wig and even wore a big floppy hat to shade my creamy chemo smooth skin from the hot Maryland Chesapeake Bay sun.




I drank mimosas and hung out with my girls and celebrated all the love that Allison and Ricky shared.

Now, 3 years later we went back on that boat to celebrate Allison's 30th birthday. My how the times have changed. Kind of.

The girls were there, the sun was blazing, the drinks were flowing. But one thing was different. My long brown hair was glistening in the sun, tapping my face like a feather reminding me of how lucky I am.



Later that night I was getting ready for bed while spending the night in Baltimore talking with Allison about what a great day it was. Allison said "I think it's pretty incredible how far you've come since the last time you were on the boat. You were at the lowest point then and look at you now. It's like ...Kara's back!"

Ricky pops his head in and says, "Kara never left. That's what's incredible. You were always Kara."

Tears filled up in my eyes. Because they are both right. I'm feeling great, looking like my old self again but my spirit never changed.

Thanks to my friends for always keeping me smiling. Seriously - I was smiling so much my cheeks were hurting after this weekend. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment