Thursday, April 29, 2010

Next Phase of Kara

It's almost 12am on a Wednesday night and I'm just getting into bed to go to sleep. The problem is, I feel like a little kid the night before the first day of school. I'm incredibly excited. Why you ask?

Well, as I get under the covers, I take a long, deep breath. I look around my room to see my walls empty, my clothes in boxes and all my jewelry and accessories stored away. I'm moving into New York City on Sunday...and with the man of my dreams. Actually, the man who helped me wipe away my nightmare and brought my dreams to reality.

As I look around my room, I see all of the thoughtful little gifts I've received over the last year: the breast cancer support teddy bear, the pink boxing gloves from Mrs. O'Hanlon that stood as the metaphor for getting through the fight, the little guardian angel pink I wore inside my coat on the way to chemo the angel figurine that stands for strength, the cards around my mirror, the countless books to conquer cancer!, and of course the "love you more" sign that hung straight across from my bed so everything I woke up after a long dreadful "chemo sleep," I would look up and see "love you more" and think of my mom and how much I'm loved.

Now as I'm writing, I have tears rolling slowly down my cheeks. I knew in my heart this day would come; the day that I have put all of this behind me. The day when I can honestly say I've moved on, I'm happy, I'm healthy, I'm in love and I'm loved more than I ever thought I could be - by not only the best man I know, but my best friends, my family and of course my hero: Mom.

I'm packed, I'm ready to go - to the next phase of Kara. It's time for bed and I need sleep. Can't wait for Sunday!

1 comment: