Thursday, April 15, 2010

No more Chemo Day!

It's April 15. Most people think today is tax day, which it technically is; however, for me, today is the last day I will ever have a chemotherapy treatment in my life.

I'm headed over to Memorial Sloan Kettering at 4pm this afternoon to have my last Herceptin treatment. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's an extension of the harsh chemotherapy (without the side effects) that is targeted to my cancer cells due to my "Her2 positive" status (in layman's terms). And for those of you who didn't even know I was going through this treatment - that's because I'm feeling great, back at work and my hair is growing so fast, I'm beginning to look like a chia pet! I actually started this treatment exactly one year ago today, while I was undergoing Taxol, the second half of my harsh chemo treatments.

It's a very strange feeling to finish chemo completely. One, because it's so incredibly exciting you feel like you want to walk around the office telling everyone - or even wear a sign on your back that says: "I've beat cancer! I feel great!" I mean, it feels more important than getting a huge promotion, being given a tremedous raise, winning a pitch, graduating grad school or even winning the lottery. Chemo is OVER!! I want to yell from the Publicis rooftop!

The other feeling...is being a bit scared. What if they didn't get it all? Now that I don't have to go back and get this magical injection that cures cancer with no side effects, I try not to think that any left over cancer cells now have the chance to play around in my body and spread their cancer cheer. But the worry should be over -- according to my doctor, she assured me that due my Tamoxifen pill (that I take daily) along with regular checkups including tumor marker bloodwork, that the killing of cancer cells is not over -- and won't be for another 4 years!

So, as of 5:30pm EST this afternoon, April 15th will officially be known as the day Kara Skaflestad finished chemotherapy forever and will never have to go back for another dose of poison again!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS. what a strong person you are. I admire you.

    ( someone you dont remember who worked with you at cendant) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what to say - just know that I am sitting at my desk with tears running down my face not even knowing I could be this proud and amazed by one person. Congratualtions Kara - YOU MADE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete