Friday, July 31, 2009

Insert foot in mouth...

It's official. My hair is back! So much so, that as I was heading back to my office after radiation this afternoon, some guy yelled out of his truck, "hey, it's GI JANE!" I guess it didn't help that I was wearing a greenish/army color shirt, but at least it wasn't an old man telling me I should be ashamed of myself!

Not to mention, I wore mascara for the first real time yesterday. Feels so frickin' good to put that goop on my eyelashes again. Who knew adding black goop could make you feel so much like a woman?

Funny thing is, my hair has never caused so much attention! The stories just keep rolling in.

So, there is this guy at work...let's call him Matt. When I was first wearing wigs all the time at work, Matt would comment and say, "Hey, great haircut!" or "wow, look at you - your hair looks great." Always about the hair...This was when I was wearing my short black wig. The next day, I ran into him in the elevator and I was wearing my long brown wig. He kept staring at me. And in front of 2 other people in the elevator asked, "how....is your hair longer today, than it was yesterday? I just don't get it!" He looked so confused. So, I made some joke that I like to play around a bit with my hair...so as not to make him feel bad by releasing my "schmancer" story. But I let him know it was a wig...so wouldn't you think he'd ask someone why I was wearing a wig? Weeks went on and little by little, I stopped wearing my wigs and had little to no hair on my head at the office. Sometimes wore hats, sometimes not. Most people at the office knew why I lost my hair...

Last week, I run into Matt in the lobby. He goes on to comment on my hair cut (my shaved head)! He says, "So, Kara, really, what's up with the hair? What did you get lice or something??" So finally, after trying to dodge it the last time, I said, "No, I lost my hair from chemo. I had breast cancer."

He says, "Kara, that's not even funny. That's not something to joke about. For real, why did you shave your head. You have lice?? hehehehe!" He's laughing!

Finally, I'm like, "Matt, listen. I'm not joking! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December. I lost my hair! But it's finally coming back!" I delivered it all with a smile, but I have never seen anyone get so white in the face as that guy! Insert foot in mouth...hehehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment